2 Minutes, 45 Seconds to Read
How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) – Marketing Tech Services
If your website was lost or hacked, you might have the unfortunate task of recovering the content. We always recommend making regular backups of your site, but if they are not available you have another option. – How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress
The Internet Archive, also known as the Wayback Machine takes periodic snapshots of many sites across the internet and may have a copy of your site. So, follow along and we’ll teach you how to search for archives and recover your content from the Wayback Machine. You can then use these pieces to rebuild your site from scratch.back to menu ↑
Search for Archives – Marketing Tech Services
- Visit the Wayback Machine at https://archive.org/web.
- Type your web address in the search field then click the Browse History button. It will list how many times your site was saved over a time period. For example:
“Saved 34 times between November 9, 2008 and May 28, 2019.“
- Click the date on the calendar to view a snapshot of what was saved. You can try to navigate the site to view any available content. Keep in mind, it may not look exactly like your site since it depends on what was archived at the time.
- I recommend checking each year and date to ensure you find all of the content.
Copy Content Manually – Marketing Tech Services
Now that you know how to search for and find your website snapshots, you can begin copying the text and images to your computer.
- Navigate to each page of the site and copy the text, then paste it into a text editor such as Notepad, Google Docs, or MS Word.
- Visit each page in the Internet Archive then right-click and save any images you want to recover to a folder on your computer.
- In some cases, you may be able to recover some of the website code. Right-click then select View page source to access the site code. Save it to a text editor for later use.
Scrape Internet Archive Content – Marketing Tech Services
If you don’t have time to manually copy each page of the website you’re recovering another option is to pull or scrape all the site content using a script. The following are some of the most popular options available. Keep in mind that these are often coded by 3rd parties or individuals and may require testing and troubleshooting to make them function successfully. – How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPressback to menu ↑
3rd Party Services
Want to save time? You can pay a 3rd party service to scrape and recover your website for you. Some will even restore content from CMSs such as WordPress. The pricing and scope of service will differ based on the site, so we recommend checking and comparing them to see which one best meets your needs.
Now that you know how to find and recover website content from the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive), you can begin rebuilding your site. Hopefully, your site will return to its former glory with help from the archived copy. We recommend archiving your website with the Wayback Machine, so you will have updated snapshots.
Reasons for using the Wayback Downloader
What possible reasons can you have to download sites from the Wayback Machine?
How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress
- Missed hosting payments. Let’s say you’re super responsible webmaster. You always update and keep fresh content. You do security updates. You’re on top of things. But one day, you visit your website and all your content is gone! It’s in this moment that you remember that you forgot to change that credit card that was linked to your hosting account. Now all your content is gone! Dashed away by one false move..or is it? Enter our web Archive download bot. With a few simple clicks, you can be on your way to restoring a whole website – exactly like it used to be.
- Nostalgia. Maybe you played a computer game as a teenager or you used to frequently visit some hobby website. Many of these websites change or go offline, but with an archive.org download order, you can recover all your nostalgic memories.Simply go to our wayback machine download site and create your own web.archive.org download. This includes your whole website, up to 10 levels deep, which means all pages that are 10 clicks away from the front page.
- Your site was hacked. What if a more sinister plot involving a hacker compromising the security of your site arises? He’s hijacked your site, and now all your content has been deleted and replaced with ads for his own benefit. Not to worry! We have you covered with a nice Wayback machine download of your website, as it was before disaster struck.
- Legal evidence. Should you ever find yourself embroiled in a legal battle over whatever the issue may be, The Wayback Downloader can help here too. Make a copy of the web archive data for use as evidence in lawsuits. For example, patent law and evidence of prior art. The Wayback Machine accepts removal requests, so it’s a good idea to have your own copy in case the website disappears from the web archive.
- Internet Marketeers. Another neat feature of the Wayback Machine Downloader is the ability to recover content from a site that you may have purchased for purposes of SEO. Got a new PBN site that you want to revamp to include the old content it used to contain and maintain Google’s trust? The Wayback Machine Downloader steps in here and makes a seamless transition to the way the site was before.
- Take content from a bankrupt competitor. What if one of your biggest competitors has gone out of business, and with their exit from the business they also took down their website? Remember the URL? Voila! You’ve got yourself a ton of useable information to populate your new site with one less competitor to worry about. Basically, this can be for any site in your industry that was taken offline.
- For recovering expired content Sometimes you have good expired content – perhaps you found it with our service or with software like the Expired Article Hunter. Let’s say you have a good PBN domain with high metrics, and you have another domain with good expired content. Now you can merge the two domains and rebuilding the expired content on the domain with high metrics. It’s one of the quickest and best methods to build a PBN
- Use it as an alternative to httrack. Httrack is software to scrape live websites, but it doesn’t do a very good job at scraping the internet archive. We rebuild websites as they once were, while httrack simply copies a complete site, including all the headers and archive URLs
As you can see there are plenty of reasons to use the Wayback Machine Downloader. It is the perfect solution to download site from wayback machine. If you need help with any of the above, don’t hesitate to send us a message. We are glad to help you out.back to menu ↑
What is the Web Archive?
The web archive is a comprehensive backup of the web, looking as it did in different points of time. The mission of the web archive is to store the internet in its entirety at different points in time over the last 15-20 years. We developed a tool that downloads a website from the Wayback machine, to recover websites that were lost due to missed hosting payments or alternative reasons. This so called Wayback Downloader is a web scraper, that visits web.archive.org and allows customers to download a site from archive.org.back to menu ↑
What is a Wayback machine download?
A wayback machine download is the name Wayback Machine Downloader gives to the package of files that you need to recover a website. This includes HTML, CSS, JS and picture files. To download website from wayback machine, simply visit the Wayback Machine and find a URL from a specific date. Make sure to use the URL from the front page, because this will give the best results.
Our software is webbased, so it works both for Windows and Linux/Mac users.back to menu ↑
Archive.org vs Wayback Machine – How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress – How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress – Marketing Tech Services
The web archive and the Wayback machine are somewhat synonymous, so for all intents and purposes, you needn’t make a differentiation between the two. The Wayback Machine is simply the name that Web Archive has given to their website, and is well known amongst individuals on the internet who have the desire to recover lost content or rebuild sites from the Wayback Machine. – Marketing Tech Services
I decided to give Archivarix a try to see if this worked as I’ve recent years I’ve used a number of tools and it hasn’t always pulled all of the information or images, and at times CSS files were missing but Archivarix does the full job and clearly have a great system for being able to rebuild sites from the Wayback Machine.How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress
What I love about the tool is you can pull a website back from the Wayback machine, or you can take a copy of a live site, so basically I could take a copy of any website that is out there at the push of a button. But what I feel is really good is the ability to turn it into a CMS using Archivarix own CMS platform that will allow you to edit and use the site on a regular ongoing basis without having to go into HTML files and all of that stuff. – Marketing Tech Servicesback to menu ↑
You can take 200 files from any website free of charge, but after that, there is a cost, a couple of examples of costs – How to Recover your Content from Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) To WordPress – Marketing Tech Services
- A website with 385 files would cost you around $1 a file can be pages, css files, images and so on
- A website with 25,000 files could cost around $18 dollars
So in terms of pricing, it is really cheap to use and works very well.back to menu ↑
What would you use Archivarix for? – Marketing Tech Services
Well. the most common thing would be to use this tool for PBN’s, grabbing an expired domain and then repurposing it to use it for its link value would be one way of using this tool. Many people use PBN’s and expired domains to get that competitive edge over their competition and the key to this whole process is keeping your costs down and being able to work at scale and Arvhivarix allows you to do just that.back to menu ↑
This is a tool that anyone using PBN’s should be using, the fact its all semi-automated makes our job so much easier, and with technology growing all the time we want to make sure that our processes are as slick as possible and this is a new process you can slip into your PBN build SOP’s and begin to roll these sites out at a speed that suits you. – Marketing Tech Services